The Osun State Government has clarified that Governor Ademola Adeleke approved the reconstruction of the Iwo–Osogbo road as far back as January 2025.
This is as it dismissed reports that the move came only after public agitation.
In a statement signed by the Governor’s spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, and issued on Friday, the government said the procurement process for the project had been ongoing for almost three months before its conclusion earlier this week.
The statement is coming after a civil society organisation, The Osun Masterminds (TOM), in its August State of the State Address, called on the state government to urgently rehabilitate the bad roads in the state.
According to the statement, letters of award were issued to contractors earlier this week and delivered to them as of Thursday.
“Governor Adeleke has for long put machinery in motion for the reconstruction of the road,” Rasheed explained.
The statement disclosed that the Commissioner for Special Duties and Regional Integration, Dr. B. T. Salami, was also reported to have visited the road on Thursday for a pre-work inspection ahead of the contractors’ mobilisation.
“The contractors have since confirmed that mobilisation would begin on Monday, marking the official commencement of the reconstruction works,” the statement added.
Rasheed urged members of the public to ignore suggestions that the Governor acted out of pressure, stressing that the project had always been a priority for the administration.
“Mr. Governor has demonstrated deep love for Iwoland and its people by addressing challenges of infrastructure in the ancient town,” he said.
He pointed out that, in addition to the dualisation of the Iwo township road currently ongoing, the rehabilitation of the Iwo–Osogbo road had been uppermost in the Governor’s plans.
“Mr. Governor does not need any agitator or protest to do the right thing for the people of Iwoland. He had promised the Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi, as well as the Iwo Board of Trustees and elders, that outstanding projects would be completed within set timelines,” the statement added.
Iwo-Osogbo road reconstruction approved since January — Gov Adeleke’s spokesperson